The origins of Tolethorpe Hall go back to the late 11th century. It overlooks classic English parkland and the Rutland village of Little Casterton just two miles north of Stamford, five minutes off the A1, and 92 miles north of London.
The countryside of Tolethorpe has changed little in 1000 years. The first recorded settlement was that of Toli, the Dane in 800 who gave his name to the site. For 800 years from around 1088 until 1839 it was the home of three distinguished dynasties, the de Tolethorpe (1088 - 1316), the Burton (1316-1503) and the Browne (1503 - 1839) families. The de Tolethorpes were a Norman family who came over after the 1066 Norman Conquest of England. They built the first manor house on the site. The Burtons and the Brownes held positions of high office including early Members of Parliament and High Sheriffs of Rutland. The Burtons also fought in France in the armies of Edward III, Richard II and Henry VI. Sir William Burton was standard bearer to Henry VI and Francis Browne was a Member of Parliament for Stamford in 1509 and a courtier of Henry VIII.